Dust off that serger again!! This purse is completely, and I do mean completely made on a serger. Right down to the binding! You will be able to utilize a whole array of stitches available on your serger including regular 4-thread over lock, chain stitching, cover hem stitching and flat lock stitching to construct this bag. You will need to have a serger with cover-hem capability for this project. If your serger does not have this feature, we can most likely furnish you with a store model. Serger classes are really fun and a great learning experience! Don’t be afraid of the 5 thread or eight threaded monster hiding in your sewing room, or worse, still in the box!! We will take all the fear out of sewing with your serger and help you and your machine “become one” with serging! Stretch your serger legs and join us in making a terrific purse that you will not believe was made entirely on a serger! The finished size of the purse is approximately 11” x 10” x 3”. We will take two days to complete this bag so you will all have time to finish. The cost for the class is $30. There is not a pattern that you need to purchase, just make sure you click on the “Materials and Cutting” tab for all the items you need to bring, and for pre-class fabric preparation. I hope there are many of you out there just itching to make a fun and useful serger project! See you at Schiller’s!!
- 1 yard of good quality cotton for the outside of the bag, lining, trim and handles. Make sure your fabric is non-directional.
- 1 coordinating fat quarter of fabric for the inside pocket
- ¾ yard of Pellon Shirtailor fusible interfacing
- ½ yard of fusible fleece (not too heavy) MUST BE FUSIBLE!
- 3 cones of regular serger thread in a color similar to your main fabric
- 3 spools of machine embroidery thread to match your main fabric
- 1 spool of decorative thread to compliment your main fabric. You can use thread that is a little heavier than regular thread like variegated cotton, jeans stitch, pearl cotton, Wonderfil’s Dazzle thread, etc. This thread will be used in the loopers.
- 1 magnetic snap
- Cover-Hem capable serger in good working condition, cord, foot pedal, regular overlock table and the cover/chain table.
- 2 size 90/14 ELx705 serger needles
- All purpose foot and the chain/cover foot
**If you are unsure about any of these parts, feel free to call the store with any questions you may have. We are here to help!**
- Screw driver for removing and inserting your needles
- Tweezers, scissors, pins, marking pen, seam ripper, ruler etc.
* Out of your main fabric cut (2) rectangles 12” x 22”, (2) 4” x 12” rectangles, (1) 2 ½” width of fabric strip and (1) 3 ½” width of fabric strip
* Out of the coordinating fat quarter cut (1) 10” x 12” rectangle and (1) 2 ½” x 12” rectangle
* Out of the Shirtailor cut (1) 12” x 22” rectangle, (2) 4” x 12” rectangles, (1) 2 ½” x 12” rectangle, (1) 10” x 12” rectangle and (1) 3 ½” x 36” piece
* Out of the fusible fleece cut (1) 12” x 22” rectangle
* Fuse fleece to the wrong side of (1) of the 12” x 22” main fabric pieces
* Fuse Shirtailor to the wrong side of the other 12” x 22” main fabric piece, the (2) 4” x 12” main fabric pieces, the 3 ½” x 36” main fabric piece and the 10” x 12” and the 2 ½” x 12” fat quarter pieces.
See you in class!!